Thursday, November 16, 2006

Shocking!

On my way home last night, a power wire snapped from a pole about 3 cars behind me as I waited at a traffic light. It was so powerful that I felt the shock from it come from the steering wheel up both arms and through my body. It felt like a really really big shock from a really powerful electric pasture fence. except bigger.

My first thought was "well, if I'm ok, the baby's ok" then a few minutes later I thought "holy shit, the baby's in water!" I tried to call my mom (a RN) when I got home but she wasn't answering so I ended up calling the Dr's office. The triage nurse called me back, told me she'd talked to the dr on call and they wanted me to go for a non-stress test. They told me that they may not be able to actually do it because I'm still so early, but they wanted to try. They also said to be prepared to be there for several hours.

So C. met me at the hospital. They checked my blood pressure, heart, temperature then listened to the baby. Everything was great and they called the Dr. who came in and told me that she didn't think a non-stress test was necessary. I told her I'd feel better if I could feel the baby moving a little - I hadn't felt movement since it happened. She offered an ultrasound and I was gleeful! When I told her that if she could peek between the baby's legs and let me know if she saw anything, she'd have done more than any radiologist to date, she said "oh, well now we HAVE to do an ultrasound!" So we saw the baby -- it was moving! and... definately a boy!

She did say that it wasn't a wasted call -- I did the right thing. she was going to go onto the internet and check pubmed and a couple of other sites to see what information is out there about electrical shock in pregnancy but did warn me not to google. She calls the internet the "worrynet".

So I waited until I got home to google. (c'mon, you knew I would!). note to you googlers out there: do NOT google "+electrical shock +pregnancy". You'll be sorry.

And now I'm worried.

*sigh*

5 Comments:

At 10:17 AM, Blogger katty said...

Hello,
How frightening about the electric shock. I would definitely have called the doctor. I am glad the baby looks fine - and congratulations on the boy. (At least) one of mine is a boy as well.
Don't worry too much....
K

 
At 11:22 AM, Blogger seattlegal said...

Wow, how scary!! I'm glad that the baby looks o.k. and yay, a boy!

 
At 2:41 PM, Blogger Leslie said...

Holy cow - you never know what's going to happen. So glad that you and the baby are ok. The baby boy, that is!

 
At 9:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG, Debbi how scary! Im a little late here, but had to comment. Im very very releived that everything is ok with the little pony.

Smooch- Lauren

 
At 7:36 AM, Blogger Serenity said...

Sorry to come in on this late too...

*HUG* how scary. Glad to hear that baby is doing ok, hon. And a boy! How wonderful!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home