Saturday, October 07, 2006

It just got better

Well, I couldn't stand it another moment.

Until now, I'd always been skeptical of people I'd heard about who were 5, 6 or more months pregnant and didn't know it. Well, more to the point, I'd always thought they were either big fat liars of just stupid. I am here to tell you today that I officially understand it. If it weren't for my clothes not fitting, I'd never know I'm pregnant. I hear stories about people with food cravings and aversions, crying at TV commercials, super sensitive skin, gag reflexes, etc. I don't experience a single bit of that.

Three things happened recently that caused some nervousness:

  • My 11 week NT scan showed a strong heartbeat but the baby wasn't moving, despite the poking and prodding of the ultrasound tech.
  • Someone on one of the boards that I post to went in for her 15 week check and the baby's heartbeat had stopped sometime after her 11 week appoinment. She had no idea whatsoever.
  • I went to the dentist last Monday and they told me that generally speaking they can spot a pregnant woman right away by looking at her gums but my gums looked healthy and great!

So combine all this with the fact that I have no symptoms and feel great (except for the fat thing), I've been a nervous wreck.

So C. and I rented a fetal doppler. It arrived yesterday. We tried it last night when he got home from work and he found the heartbeat right away. I feel much better now. I guess the alternative is that I'm always calling the doctor's office. Next appointment: Wednesday


* * * * *


In other news... I convinced C. to take the sign language class with me and we're having a fabulous time! It's going really well and we're looking foward to signing with our baby as soon as we can.


8 Comments:

At 5:41 PM, Blogger Erica said...

Good god, I understand that scared feeling, when you're pregnant and don't have any evidence that, you know, things are okay in there?

I'm glad you got the doppler, and I hope it keeps you sane.

 
At 3:21 AM, Blogger Meg said...

Hi Debbi - I know how you feel. those stories of "not knowing" torture me too.

I am thinking about going the doppler route too.

 
At 2:38 PM, Blogger Kristin @ Intrepid Murmurings said...

Hi Debbi -- good to hear an update!! Glad everything is going well. The doppler sounds like a great idea. We want to take a sign language class too -- we have a CD & book, but a class would actually make us start learning it instead of procrastinating!

 
At 2:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you got the Doppler also, and hope that you keep having a really nice symptom free pregnancy.

 
At 10:51 AM, Blogger Leslie said...

Scary crap. I'm so glad you have the doppler and an appointment this week. Hang in there!

 
At 1:09 PM, Blogger Jo said...

In some ways you are lucky having less symptoms. : )
My NT scan, the baby didn't move either. They poked me, bounced the wand on my stomach, made me cough, made me pee, then I drank some OJ and about 10 minutes later the little bugger finally moved. I guess they sleep hard sometimes.
BAH about the gums as well. I had no issues at all with me teeth or gums. I think there is so much stuff on the internet that can make you freak out.
I am glad you found a doppler to help you relax a bit!

 
At 10:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can I just say how thrilled I am about your pregnancy?! I'm even more thrilled that you are having a great one with no complications and those pesky side-effects that some go through. Try not to compare yourself to what "they" say. Every pregnancy is different. So try not to stress and don't let Hitler get to you. Stress isn't good for you or the babe. I'm glad you got the doppler for piece of mind. Do you think you can forecast weather with that thing? hehehehe

 
At 10:49 AM, Blogger Serenity said...

It is SO normal to be scared sh*tless about your pregnancy. Because it took you so long to get there. And you know everything that can go wrong - the innocence went with the baby dust.

But I am glad that the doppler eases your mind a bit. And I am hoping for the very very best for you and the little baby that is growing inside you at this very moment. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home