Wednesday, March 01, 2006

On Strike

Went Monday for day 6 scan. My ovaries have gone on serious strike: 3 equal-sized follicles on each ovary (8-10mm) but e2 level in the toilet -- 61. For reference, last cycle on day 6 my e2 was over 350. So I stayed on meds and went back today expecting cancellation with a slim chance of IUI conversion. We had a brief discussion Monday morning about whether to try the antagon protocol (if i can get e2 down without lupron) or just fuggit the whole thing and wait for donor eggs. I figured I'd talk to the RE and see what he thinks. If he thinks the antagon is worth trying, I'd likely let him talk me into it if (and only if) he agrees to treat any corpus luteal cysts agressively. I will not wait another 8 months to start another cycle. Good Lord, I don't have that kind of time or energy.

None of this is surprising to me, so it didn't actually upset me that much... well except all the $$ it cost to find this out. But hey, there's always the Intertility Black Market, right? So the good news is that I made it to the top of the donor list!!! I'm being matched as we speak. So i've got that going for me. In case you're wondering, that was the form that I actually returned. Well, except I actually put our full names. And kept the real name of the clinic on the header.

I returned today and I must say: when my ovaries quit, they don't mess around. Today's scan showed 3 equal-sized follicles (10-12mm) and a smaller one that might or might not catch up. We've lost 2 altogether. We're definately converting to IUI and I think I'm going to call it quits with my eggs. This is so silly to keep trying. The truth is, I think I'd rather not be pregnant than be pregnant with my eggs and worrying so much about quality and miscarriage again. That was the worst thing that's ever happened to me and I don't know if i could make it through another one. Besides, I know that my chances of success are so much better with donor eggs. So we're going to try to convert this cycle. I've dropped meds to only lupron 5 units and Gonal-F 225IU AM. No PM meds. He thinks this is enough to keep these 3 going without wasting meds. That Gonal is so expensive! the 900IU pen is between $570 and $900, depending on where you shop. Yikes!

Hopefully I'll be matched in a few weeks and from there, it's only a couple of months before I'm in the DE cycle. The e2 level today was the last blood draw of the cycle. After this, we're just focusing on IUI. They called this afternoon -- it's up to 150 which may indicate there's at least one egg in one of those follicles. *sigh* it only takes one, right?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home